What Size Solar System Do I Need?
It depends on how much electricity you use. Two homes the exact same size will use different amounts of electricity and therefore require different size systems. Major electrical loads within a home are air conditioners, electric heaters, pools, and other heating elements or motors.
That being said, an average 2,500 sq. ft. single-family home uses about 5,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity per year. A 3 kilowatt (AC) system will generate nearly all the electricity required for such a home on an annual basis.
Energy Neutral’s solar electric systems require approximately 65 sq. ft. of panel area to generate 1 kilowatt of electricity. The solar panels used in our power systems have a 40-year design life and come with a 25-year warranty.
The actual amount of electricity produced is dependent on how much solar energy reaches your site. An optimally located array would face south and have nothing obstructing the sun's rays from reaching the solar panels. Actual system production can easily be calculated with a site analysis.
What Kind of Maintenance Do Solar Panels Require?
Solar panels generally require very little maintenance. A few times a year, the panels should be inspected for any dirt or debris that may collect. To clean, simply use a standard garden hose to wash the face of the panels during either the early morning or in the evening. Avoid spraying cold water onto hot panels or you could risk cracking them.
There are also automated cleaners, which can be programmed to clean your panels as needed - a good choice if you are in an especially dusty area. Professional solar panel cleaners are also in abundance and can come out periodically to clean them.
Why use solar power?
Benefits of solar:
• Save money by reducing or eliminating your electric bill
• Generate your own pollution-free, clean electricity
• Invest money into your home, not your utility company
• Fix your electricity cost over the next 40 years
• Enjoy a 25-year warranty on solar panels and a 40-year design-life
• Hedge against future utility rate increases
• No batteries needed; bank your extra power in the local utility-grid
• Requires very little maintenance
• Monthly positive cash flow from day ONE
• No lifestyle changes; use power when you want
911 E. Winding Creek Dr., Suite 150 • Eagle, ID • 83616